FIND YOUR NEXT STUDY EXPERIENCE
24 November 2022 by AECC
Physiotherapy Courses in Canada for International Students
With a whopping market size of $4 billion, physiotherapy courses in Canada offer international students excellent employment opportunities. By pursuing a physiotherapy course, students will learn treatment methods that will help people heal, improve or sustain the complete functioning and well-being of the human body.
Students will also gain practical experience in preparing treatment plans and adapting them to the patient's specific needs. During physiotherapy classes, students will learn reflexology, movements, and exercises to help patients improve their quality of life and overcome their disabilities. Read ahead to get a complete overview of physiotherapy courses in Canada.
Read More: Physiotherapy Courses in Canada
Table of Contents
- What is the Scope of Physiotherapy in Canada?
- Why Should You Study a Physiotherapy Course in Canada?
- Benefits of Studying Physiotherapy Courses in Canada
- Eligibility Requirements to Study in Physiotherapy in Canada
- Admission Procedure To Study Physiotherapy Courses in Canada
- Physiotherapy Course Subjects
- Top 5 Physiotherapy Courses in Canada for International Students
- Physiotherapy Colleges in Canada
- Best Universities in Canada for Physiotherapy
- Diploma in Physiotherapy in Canada (Courses)
- Masters in Physiotherapy in Canada Overview
- Masters in Physiotherapy in Canada (Courses)
- Physiotherapy Jobs in Canada
- Physiotherapist Salary in Canada Per Year
What is the Scope of Physiotherapy in Canada?
Physiotherapists have incredible opportunities across the globe, especially in Canada. This is due to the growing demand for physiotherapists. On graduating, you can pursue a career as a sports therapist, occupational therapist, chiropractor, occupational therapy specialist, or even acupuncturist. You can work in health care centers, hospitals, private clinics, schools, nursing homes, community centers, and sports clubs.
Why Should You Study a Physiotherapy Course in Canada?
Here are some compelling reasons for international students to study physiotherapy courses in Canada:
- A physiotherapist can set up their practice in Canada after getting the necessary qualifications and licenses.
- Enrolling in physiotherapy courses in Canada is easy as the admission process is less stringent and straightforward.
- This program will give you the knowledge and practical skills to succeed as a wellness and healthcare professional in the country.
- Canada is a rising market for physiotherapists in terms of demand and revenue, which is backed by the rise in therapy and healthcare centers.
Benefits of Studying Physiotherapy Courses in Canada
Studying a physiotherapy course in Canada has a wide variety of benefits, such as:
- Gain international industry connections.
- Wider choice of physiotherapy programs.
- The quality of education is exemplary at universities in Canada.
- Colleges and universities in Canada offer outstanding infrastructure and facilities.
- You get the opportunity to study with students from different countries and mingle with diverse cultures.
Read More: SOP for Canada and SOP Samples for Canada
Eligibility Requirements to Study Physiotherapy in Canada
For Bachelors Degree:
- You should have passed 12th Grade.
- You must have an overall IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
- Some institutions might ask for an updated CV along with your course application.
- In high school, you must have scored at least a C in Mathematics, English and Biology.
- You should have a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and First Aid Certification.
For Masters Degree:
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Scores
- Some institutions might ask for your updated CV.
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum of 60-70% marks.
- You must have valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and First Aid Certification.
- Applicants should have a bachelor’s degree in medicine or related disciplines.
For Diploma Program:
- IELTS/TOEFL/PTE Scores
- You need a post-secondary or high school qualification (10+2), and the minimum marks vary from institution to institution.
Admission Procedure To Study Physiotherapy Courses in Canada
Before applying to any physiotherapy program, you need to check the admission process as it varies from institution to institution. The following are the complete requirements to enrol in a physiotherapy course, irrespective of the institution:
- Look out for the right institution and program.
- Keep the educational and other documents ready.
- Check the intakes and apply online at the institution’s website.
- Wait until you receive the student number and admission confirmation.
- You will receive the admission confirmation via post or email.
- Once you get the confirmation, go ahead and apply for your visa.
- Attend the visa interview. Once it is successfully processed, you can book your flight ticket and look for accommodation in Canada.
Physiotherapy Course Subjects
The following are some physiotherapy course subjects:
- General Surgery
- Human Anatomy
- Sports Physiotherapy
- Introduction to Treatment
- Orientation to Physiotherapy
Read More: Masters in Engineering Management in Canada
Top 5 Physiotherapy Courses in Canada for International Students
1. Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma
Course Duration: 2 Years
Institution: Red Deer Polytechnic
About The Course: With this program, students will be prepared to work as a physical therapist assistant or occupational therapist. As an occupational therapist, you will learn to manage time and collaborate with other healthcare professionals for efficient practice. You will also build positive relationships with families, clients, and care providers through written, verbal, nonverbal, and technological modes of communication.
2. Master of Science in Physical Therapy
Course Duration: 2 Years
Intake Months: September
About The Course: This program is accredited by the Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC). Graduates will qualify to practice physical therapy in Canada after successfully completing their program. The best physiotherapy practices are taught throughout the course, and they encourage a strong focus on research.
3. Master of Physical Therapy
Course Duration: 10 Semesters
Intake Months: September
Institution: Western University
About The Course: Enabling students to empower people with health and well-being is the primary goal of this course. This program is one of the best physiotherapy courses in Canada, as it is internationally recognised for leadership, excellence and innovation in physical therapy practice, education and research. With this program, you can practice physiotherapy in a wide variety of healthcare settings.
Read More: MS in Mechanical Engineering in Canada
4. Pre-Physical Therapy Studies
Course Duration: 2 Semesters
Intake Months: January, May, September
Institution: University of Regina
About The Course: Applicants will be eligible to apply for this program after completing a 4-year baccalaureate degree in a related discipline. Certain pre-requisite courses might be required to enrol in this program, and students are encouraged to contact the university for admission requirements. An academic program advisor is designated for students to discuss about this program, and international students have to pay CAD 12,049 fees yearly.
5. Ontario College Diploma in Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
Course Duration: 4 Semesters
Intake Months: January, September
Institution: Cambrian College
About The Course: In this program, you will work under the guidance of physiotherapists and registered occupational therapists. You will also get the opportunity to help patients undergoing physical rehabilitation due to surgery, injury or chronic medical condition. As part of this course, you will gain hands-on experience and practical skills through field placements, lab work and theoretical foundations. Moreover, you will learn to guide patients to follow their treatment plans so that they will recover soon.
Physiotherapy Colleges in Canada
Best Universities in Canada for Physiotherapy
Diploma in Physiotherapy in Canada (Courses)
- Diploma Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist Assistant
- Ontario College Diploma in Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant
- Ontario College Diploma in Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
Masters in Physiotherapy in Canada Overview
Canada has numerous reputed and distinct physiotherapy masters programs which attract international students from around the globe. The median fees for masters in physiotherapy in Canada range between CAD 35,500 to CAD 48,500 yearly. The demand for physiotherapists is growing rapidly in Canada, which is the reason physiotherapy programs are increasingly becoming popular in Canada.
Masters in Physiotherapy in Canada (Courses)
Physiotherapy Jobs in Canada
- Sports Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Occupational Therapy Specialist
Physiotherapist Salary in Canada Per Year
The approximate average salary of a Physiotherapist in Canada is $86,000 or CAD 40 per hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
The tuition fees for 1 full year range from CAD 10,500 to CAD 21,500. The overall cost is affordable compared to other study-abroad destinations.
An undergraduate physiotherapy program is 4 years with a mandatory internship of six months, a master's program is 2 years, and a diploma course is 3 years.
Physiotherapy is one of the high-level category jobs in Canada, and they are well paid anywhere between CAD 77,800 to CAD 135,800 yearly. There are plenty of job opportunities and the option to apply for a permanent residency.
Physiotherapists are in high demand in Canada, and you can secure a permanent residency with or without a job offer. To qualify for PR, you basically need a relevant physiotherapy qualification and a few years of experience.
Physiotherapy is a valuable course as the employment prospects are excellent in this field. Moreover, there is a growing demand for physiotherapists in Canada. This program is ideal for students who want to establish a career in the health sector. Students can also open their own physiotherapy centers after graduating.