Annual course fee
The Department also accepts applications from students without such preparation, providing pathways of study so that interested students may either begin to acquire such expertise but also so that the degree may be completed without study of the ancient languages. Applicants must complete the online application to the graduate program and submit directly to the department a two to three-page statement of purpose and an eight to ten-page writing sample. Letters of recommendation (sent directly by the recommender) are optional but welcome.
You must have successfully completed an USA Bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification) or/with full-time or equivalent, work experience in a relevant industry setting. Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted. If you dont meet the entry requirements, there may be other programs you are eligible for that can lead you to your preferred program.
Students from Australia are accepted for this course
Type of institution
On campus accommodation
San Francisco State University (SFSU) is a well-known institution located in the southwest part of San Francisco, California. It is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, and social justice, providing an engaging and dynamic educational experience for students of all backgrounds.
SFSU offers a broad selection of academic programs, with over 150 undergraduate and graduate degree options available across various fields. Students can choose from areas like liberal arts, business, social sciences, natural sciences, education, creative arts, and health services. This wide range of programs allows students to explore their interests while gaining the necessary knowledge and skills for their future careers.
SFSU's strength lies in its diverse and inclusive campus community. The university takes pride in its student body, with approximately 68% of undergraduates coming from historically underrepresented groups. It has been recognised as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI), reflecting its commitment to promoting diversity. The campus features cultural centres like the Cesar Chavez Student Center, Black Unity Center, and Asian American and Pacific Islander Student Services, which provide support, resources, and a sense of belonging to students from diverse communities.
At SFSU, students not only receive a quality education but also engage in hands-on learning. The university emphasises the value of practical experiences, encouraging internships, research projects, and community involvement. This approach enhances learning, allowing students to apply their knowledge, build resumes, and deepen their understanding of their chosen fields.
The campus location adds to SFSU's appeal. Situated on 142 acres of rolling hills, it offers a picturesque and peaceful environment for students to pursue their academic goals. Being close to downtown San Francisco provides numerous advantages, including access to cultural attractions, job opportunities, and vibrant city life. Additionally, the campus is well-connected to public transportation, making it convenient for students to explore the city and commute to and from the university.
SFSU is committed to providing students with the resources they need to succeed. The university offers modern and well-equipped facilities to support learning, research, and campus life. The J. Paul Leonard Library is a central resource, providing a vast collection of books, journals, digital resources, and study spaces. The Mashouf Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art facility promoting physical and mental well-being, offering fitness centres, exercise classes, and wellness programs. The campus also houses specialised facilities for disciplines like fine arts, science, and technology, ensuring students have access to cutting-edge resources.
Furthermore, SFSU has a strong and active alumni network. Graduates stay connected through the SFSU Alumni Association, fostering a sense of community and lifelong engagement. Alumni enjoy various benefits and resources, including career services, networking opportunities, professional development workshops, and exclusive events. The alumni network also offers mentorship programs, connecting current students with successful alumni in their desired fields. SFSU alumni have achieved notable accomplishments in business, arts, media, politics, education, and community activism, serving as inspirations for current and future students.
In summary, San Francisco State University provides a diverse and inclusive environment, offering a wide range of academic programs, a vibrant campus community, and access to valuable resources and opportunities. With its dedication to social justice, sustainability, and experiential learning, SFSU prepares students to become engaged and successful professionals in their chosen fields.
San Francisco State University is ideally situated in the southwestern part of San Francisco, California, in a charming residential neighbourhood called Parkmerced. The university's campus covers 142 acres of rolling hills, offering a picturesque and serene environment for students to immerse themselves in their studies and engage in campus life.
The campus's strategic location provides students with the best of both worlds. While nestled in a peaceful setting, it is conveniently close to downtown San Francisco, allowing students to take advantage of the city's cultural attractions, employment opportunities, and vibrant urban life. Students can explore the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, visit world-class museums, enjoy diverse culinary experiences, and engage in various recreational activities.
In addition to its proximity to the city, San Francisco State University's campus is well-connected to public transportation, making it easy for students to navigate the Bay Area. The university is serviced by multiple bus lines and is just a short distance from the Daly City BART station, facilitating convenient transportation to and from the campus.
The campus itself offers stunning views of the city skyline, the Pacific Ocean, and nearby Lake Merced, creating a serene and inspiring atmosphere for students. With its lush green spaces, architectural landmarks, and modern facilities, San Francisco State University provides an inviting and conducive environment for academic pursuits, personal growth, and vibrant campus life.
San Francisco State University offers a wide array of study areas across its diverse colleges and departments, providing students with an extensive range of academic programs to pursue their passions and career goals.
The College of Liberal & Creative Arts at SFSU encompasses a broad spectrum of study areas, including English, history, philosophy, languages, and performing arts. Students within this college can explore the depths of literature, delve into cultural studies, engage in visual arts, delve into music, and explore the world of theatre.
For those interested in business and economics, the College of Business offers programs in business administration, accounting, finance, marketing, and entrepreneurship. These programs equip students with practical knowledge and skills in business management, finance, analytics, and marketing strategies. SFSU's business programs emphasise experiential learning, internships, and collaboration with local businesses to ensure graduates are well-prepared for success in the dynamic business world.
The College of Health & Social Sciences at SFSU provides study areas that include psychology, sociology, social work, criminal justice, and public administration. Within these fields, students gain insight into human behaviour, societal structures, public policy, and social justice issues. The study of social sciences equips students with critical analysis skills, an understanding of diverse populations, and the ability to address social challenges.
San Francisco State University's College of Science & Engineering offers study areas such as biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, and engineering. Students engage in scientific inquiry, research, and hands-on experimentation. The natural sciences programs at SFSU focus on developing analytical and problem-solving skills, fostering scientific literacy, and preparing students for careers in scientific research, technology, and innovation.
The College of Education prepares future educators and professionals in various areas of education, including early childhood education, elementary education, special education, and educational leadership. Students gain knowledge in pedagogical approaches, curriculum development, and effective teaching strategies. SFSU's education programs equip students to become teachers, administrators, counsellors, and advocates for quality education at different levels.
The College of Liberal & Creative Arts at SFSU also offers exciting study areas for those interested in creative arts. Programs in cinema, broadcasting, journalism, creative writing, theatre arts, and visual arts provide students with hands-on opportunities to express their creativity, explore storytelling mediums, engage in media production, and embark on artistic journeys. These programs foster artistic talents, encourage innovation, and offer platforms for students to showcase their work.
In the College of Health & Social Sciences, study areas such as kinesiology, health education, nursing, social work, and gerontology prepare students for careers in health and human services. Students learn about health promotion, disease prevention, human development, and social services. These programs at SFSU provide a comprehensive understanding of health and prepare students to work in healthcare, community organisations, social services, and the public health sector.
With its diverse range of study areas, San Francisco State University ensures that students have the opportunity to pursue their interests, develop their skills, and acquire knowledge in various disciplines, empowering them to succeed in their chosen fields.
San Francisco State University is dedicated to fostering an environment of diversity, inclusion, and equity, making it a place where students from all backgrounds feel welcomed, valued, and supported. The university celebrates and embraces the diversity of its student body, faculty, and staff, recognising that a multicultural environment enhances learning, enriches perspectives, and prepares students for success in a global society.
As a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI), SFSU actively supports the academic success and well-being of historically underrepresented communities. Approximately 68% of undergraduate students at SFSU come from historically underrepresented groups, contributing to a vibrant and diverse campus.
San Francisco State University houses several cultural centres, including the Cesar Chavez Student Center, Black Unity Center, and Asian American and Pacific Islander Student Services. These centres provide resources, support, and a sense of community for students from diverse backgrounds, offering programming, mentoring, and leadership opportunities.
The university organises a wide range of diversity-focused programs, initiatives, and events throughout the academic year. These include workshops, lectures, film screenings, performances, and dialogues that promote cross-cultural understanding, critical thinking, and social justice. SFSU's commitment to diversity and inclusion extends beyond the campus, as the university actively engages with local communities through partnerships, service-learning, and community-based research.
San Francisco State University embraces the principles of diversity and inclusion by fostering an inclusive campus climate, nurturing dialogue, and empowering students to become advocates for social change. Through its commitment to diversity and inclusion, SFSU cultivates a supportive and respectful environment where students can thrive academically, personally, and professionally.
San Francisco State University offers a vibrant and engaging student life with a wide variety of clubs and societies to cater to diverse interests and passions. With over 250 registered clubs and organisations, students have ample opportunities to get involved, make connections, and pursue their extracurricular interests.
The university's clubs and societies cover a broad range of areas, including academic, cultural, artistic, recreational, and social pursuits. Students can join clubs related to their academic disciplines, such as the biology club, psychology association, or business society, where they can connect with fellow students and faculty members who share similar interests. These academic clubs often provide additional learning opportunities, guest speakers, and networking events.
For those interested in exploring cultural and artistic endeavours, there are clubs and organisations dedicated to promoting diverse cultures, languages, music, dance, and visual arts. These clubs create spaces for cultural exchange, celebration, and education, allowing students to learn about different traditions and express their creativity.
Additionally, there are clubs focused on recreational activities, sports, and outdoor adventures. Whether it's hiking, yoga, martial arts, or intramural sports, students can find opportunities to stay active, meet like-minded individuals, and have fun.
San Francisco State University also encourages students to initiate their own clubs if they don't find an existing one that aligns with their interests. This enables students to create communities around specific topics, hobbies, or causes, fostering leadership skills and a sense of ownership in the campus community.
Being part of clubs and societies at SFSU offers numerous benefits to students. It provides opportunities for personal growth, leadership development, and building lifelong friendships. Students can enhance their organisational and communication skills, broaden their perspectives, and engage in meaningful experiences beyond the classroom. The clubs and societies contribute to the vibrant and inclusive atmosphere on campus, creating a sense of belonging and fostering a strong sense of community among students.
San Francisco State University offers a wide range of modern and well-equipped facilities to support student learning, research, and campus life. These facilities provide students with the resources they need to thrive academically and engage in extracurricular activities.
The J. Paul Leonard Library is a central hub of knowledge and information on campus. With its vast collection of books, journals, digital resources, and study spaces, the library serves as a valuable resource for research, studying, and collaboration. Students have access to expert librarians who can assist with research projects, offer guidance on information literacy, and provide support in navigating the extensive resources available.
The Mashouf Wellness Center is a state-of-the-art facility designed to promote the physical and mental well-being of students. It features a spacious fitness centre equipped with a wide range of exercise equipment, group exercise studios for classes such as yoga, pilates, and Zumba, an indoor track for running and walking, a swimming pool for aquatic activities, and wellness programs that focus on mindfulness, stress reduction, and overall wellness.
The Fine Arts Building is a dedicated space for students studying visual and performing arts. It houses studios, performance spaces, and galleries where students can practise, create, and showcase their artistic work. The building provides an inspiring environment for students pursuing disciplines such as painting, sculpture, photography, theatre, dance, and music.
The Science Building is equipped with modern laboratories, research facilities, and classrooms to support students in scientific disciplines. Whether studying biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, or engineering, students have access to state-of-the-art equipment and resources that facilitate hands-on learning, experimentation, and research.
The Student Life Events Center serves as a vibrant hub for student activities and events. It hosts a wide range of programs, workshops, performances, and cultural events that enrich the student experience. The centre provides spaces for student organisations to gather, plan events, and engage in collaborative projects. It is also a venue for concerts, lectures, conferences, and other campus-wide gatherings.
These facilities at San Francisco State University are designed to create an enriching and supportive environment where students can excel academically, pursue their passions, and enjoy a well-rounded college experience. The university's commitment to providing modern and well-maintained facilities enhances the overall student experience and contributes to the vibrant campus life at SFSU.
San Francisco State University boasts a strong and active alumni network that spans across the globe. The SFSU Alumni Association serves as a bridge between graduates and the university, fostering a sense of community, pride, and lifelong engagement.
The alumni network offers numerous benefits and resources to its members. Career services provide valuable support for alumni in their professional endeavours, including job search assistance, networking opportunities, and access to exclusive job postings. Alumni can connect with fellow graduates and industry professionals through networking events, mentorship programs, and online platforms.
Professional development workshops and seminars are organised by the alumni network to help members enhance their skills, stay updated with industry trends, and advance their careers. These workshops cover a wide range of topics, including leadership development, entrepreneurship, resume writing, and interview preparation.
The alumni network also organises various exclusive events, such as reunions, homecoming celebrations, and alumni mixers. These events offer opportunities for graduates to reconnect with former classmates, faculty members, and staff, fostering a sense of camaraderie and nostalgia.
Through the mentorship programs facilitated by the alumni network, current students have the opportunity to connect with successful alumni who can provide guidance, career advice, and industry insights. These mentorship relationships help students navigate their academic journey, make informed career decisions, and build professional networks.
SFSU alumni have made notable achievements in various fields, including business, arts, media, politics, education, and community activism. They serve as role models for current students, demonstrating the impact of an SFSU education and inspiring future generations of Gators.
The strong and active alumni network at San Francisco State University reflects the enduring bond between graduates and the university. It creates a sense of belonging, fosters professional connections, and provides ongoing support to ensure the success and well-being of SFSU alumni throughout their lives.
- Diverse and inclusive campus community: San Francisco State University (SFSU) is renowned for its diverse and inclusive campus community, providing a rich multicultural environment that fosters learning and personal growth. Students have the opportunity to engage with individuals from various backgrounds, perspectives, and cultures, promoting a greater understanding of global issues and fostering a sense of global citizenship.
- Wide range of academic programs: SFSU offers over 150 undergraduate and graduate degree programs across various disciplines. Whether students are interested in liberal arts and humanities, business and economics, social sciences, natural sciences, education, creative arts, or health and human services, they can find a program that aligns with their interests and career goals.
- Emphasis on experiential learning: SFSU places a strong emphasis on experiential learning, encouraging students to apply their knowledge and skills through internships, research projects, and community engagement. This hands-on approach allows students to gain practical experience, build their resumes, and develop the skills necessary for their future careers.
- Commitment to social justice and sustainability: SFSU is committed to social justice and sustainability, incorporating these values into its curriculum and campus initiatives. Students have the opportunity to explore social issues, contribute to positive social change, and develop a strong sense of social responsibility.
- Vibrant student life: SFSU offers a vibrant student life with numerous clubs, organisations, and events that cater to a wide range of interests. Students can get involved in campus activities, join clubs related to their passions, and make connections with like-minded individuals. The vibrant student life enhances the overall college experience and creates a strong sense of community on campus.
- Location in San Francisco: Situated in the southwestern part of San Francisco, SFSU enjoys a prime location in a residential neighbourhood called Parkmerced. Its proximity to downtown San Francisco provides students with access to a thriving city known for its cultural attractions, employment opportunities, and vibrant urban life.
- Picturesque campus: The SFSU campus is spread across 142 acres of rolling hills, offering a picturesque and serene environment for students to study and engage in campus life. The beautiful surroundings provide a peaceful and inspiring atmosphere for academic pursuits.
- Public transportation access: The campus is well-connected to public transportation, making it convenient for students to explore the city and commute to and from the university. The accessibility to public transportation allows students to take full advantage of the city's offerings while providing ease of travel.
- Affordability: SFSU is committed to providing an affordable education to students. The university offers a range of financial aid options, scholarships, and grants to support students in their educational journey.
- Strong alumni network: SFSU has a strong and active alumni network that offers valuable support and networking opportunities for current students and graduates. The alumni network serves as a valuable resource for career guidance, mentorship, and professional connections.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion: SFSU is proud of its commitment to diversity and inclusion, creating a welcoming and supportive environment for students from all backgrounds. The university's designation as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI) reflects its dedication to fostering a diverse and inclusive campus community.
- Cultural and career opportunities: Being located in San Francisco, SFSU provides students with access to a vibrant cultural scene, including art galleries, theatres, music venues, and museums. The city also offers a plethora of internships and job opportunities across various industries, allowing students to gain real-world experience and kick-start their careers.
- Personalised attention and supportive faculty: SFSU prides itself on its supportive faculty, who provide personalised attention to students. With small class sizes, students have the opportunity to engage in meaningful discussions, receive individualised feedback, and build strong relationships with professors.
- Commitment to student success: SFSU is dedicated to student success and offers a range of resources and support services to help students thrive academically, personally, and professionally. These include academic advising, tutoring services, career counselling, wellness programs, and more.
- Strong academic reputation: SFSU has a strong academic reputation and is recognised for its quality programs, accomplished faculty, and impactful research. The university's commitment to academic excellence ensures that students receive a high-quality education and are well-prepared for their future endeavours.
- Access to cutting-edge facilities and technology: SFSU provides access to state-of-the-art facilities and technology that support student learning and research. From modern laboratories and research centres to multimedia studios and advanced equipment, students have the tools they need to excel in their chosen fields.
QS rank1201 - 1400
160 Spear Street, 5th Floor San Francisco, California 94105
The SF State Downtown Campus is located at 160 Spear Street, 5th Floor. Our location is near the waterfront, with quick access to the Embarcadero BART/Muni station and adjacent to the Transbay Terminal.See all courses at this campus
3150 Paradise Drive, Tiburon, California, 94920
SF State’s Romberg Tiburon Campus is located in Central SF Bay, along a naturally deep water channel that hugs the shoreline, just inside the Golden Gate, an ideal location for a science center focused on coastal and marine ecosystems. The Romberg Tiburon Campus, an extraordinary 53 acre bayside campus on the Tiburon Peninsula in Marin County, California, is an ideal setting for realizing the synergistic and creative potential of these outstanding programs for the region.See all courses at this campus
8272 Moss Landing Rd., Moss Landing, California, 95039
The Moss Landing Marine Laboratories (MLML) is a multi-campus marine research consortium of the California State University System, headquartered at Moss Landing, California.See all courses at this campus