If you want to study science at university level without having to commit to full-time degree study initially, you might consider the Certificate in Science (Carts). It is also an option if you want to take a few courses for interest or study part-time. Biology means the study of living things. Biologists investigate animals, plants and microbes in many different ways and on a huge range of scales from molecules and cells to individual organisms, populations and ecosystems. During the past few decades the study of biology has undergone rapid change and has had a significant impact on the way we live. We are now able to produce antibiotics and vaccines, grow disease resistant crops, transplant organs and manipulate genes. Biologists today are actively researching solutions to vital concerns such as increasing world food supply, improving and protecting our environment and conquering disease.
IELTS Academic with an average score of 6.0, with a minimum of 5.5 inreading, writing, listening and speaking
PTE PTE with an overall score of 50 and no PTE communicative skills score below 42
TOEFL Total minimum score of 80, with at least 19 in reading, writing and listening
Students from Australia are accepted for this course
Type of institution
On campus accommodation
The University of Canterbury (UC) holds the distinction of being New Zealand's second-oldest university and has built a strong reputation for academic excellence since its establishment. With its commitment to research and teaching quality, UC has earned a place among the top 1% of universities worldwide
UC offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various disciplines, ensuring that students have diverse options to pursue their academic and professional interests. Whether students aspire to study arts, business, engineering, forestry, health sciences, law, music, science, or social sciences, UC provides comprehensive programs to meet their educational goals.
The university takes pride in its supportive learning environment and robust student support services. Recognising that students' success goes beyond academics, UC is dedicated to nurturing their overall well-being and growth. From academic advising and career guidance to counselling services and health support, UC offers a comprehensive range of resources to assist students throughout their university journey.
Located in Christchurch, the largest city in New Zealand's South Island, the UC campus is nestled in a picturesque setting spanning over 76 hectares. Situated close to the city centre, students have easy access to a host of amenities and cultural attractions. Christchurch itself is renowned for its stunning natural surroundings, including the scenic Port Hills and beautiful nearby beaches. The city's vibrant arts and music scene, with its galleries, theatres, and music festivals, further enriches the cultural experience for students.
UC has developed strong connections with industry partners, allowing students to gain valuable real-world experience through internships and work placements. These opportunities enhance graduates' career prospects and provide them with practical skills sought after by employers. The university's commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship is evident through initiatives like the UC Centre for Entrepreneurship, which cultivates an entrepreneurial mindset among students, fostering creativity, problem-solving, and the ability to seize opportunities.
Diversity and inclusion are key values upheld by UC. The university strives to create an inclusive and equitable environment for all students and staff. UC promotes cultural diversity and multiculturalism through events, clubs, and support services such as the Pacific Development Team and the UC Diversity Fest. The Disability Resource Service at UC ensures that students with disabilities have equal access to education and provides tailored support to meet their individual needs. UC is dedicated to fostering an inclusive community that values diverse perspectives and experiences, creating a rich and supportive learning environment for all.
The vibrant campus community at UC offers students numerous opportunities to engage beyond the classroom. With over 140 clubs and societies, students can pursue their interests, develop leadership skills, and forge lifelong friendships. Whether it's joining the UC Film Society, the UC Dance Club, the UC Debating Society, or any other club, students can actively participate in extracurricular activities, competitions, workshops, and social gatherings throughout the year. These clubs and societies foster a sense of community and personal growth, contributing to a well-rounded university experience.
The University of Canterbury's commitment to academic excellence, supportive environment, industry connections, diversity, and vibrant student life makes it an exceptional choice for students seeking a world-class education in New Zealand. With its strong reputation, extensive range of study areas, and commitment to innovation, UC empowers students to thrive academically, personally, and professionally, setting them on a path to success in their chosen fields.
The incredible University of Canterbury lies within the heart of Christchurch, the largest and most vibrant city in the picturesque South Island of New Zealand. Nestled amidst 76 hectares of lush parkland, the campus paints a stunning backdrop for students embarking on their academic journeys. Its prime location near the city centre ensures easy access to amenities and cultural treasures, creating an optimal environment for students to thrive personally and academically.
Christchurch itself is a mesmerising tapestry of nature's wonders, providing abundant opportunities for students to immerse themselves in the breathtaking beauty of New Zealand. The nearby Port Hills, with their awe-inspiring vistas of the city and the majestic Southern Alps, beckon outdoor enthusiasts and thrill-seekers alike. The inviting beaches offer a gateway to water sports and a chance to bask in the warm embrace of the sun.
Adding to its allure, Christchurch boasts a pulsating arts and music scene. The city buzzes with galleries, theatres, and vibrant music festivals that ignite the senses and nourish the soul. Students at the University of Canterbury can revel in this cultural extravaganza, attending captivating live performances, exploring captivating art exhibitions, and soaking up the electric ambience that permeates the city's very core. Brace yourself for an exhilarating immersion into a tapestry of vibrant and diverse cultural experiences.
The University of Canterbury is a treasure trove of diverse study areas that span numerous disciplines, catering to every student's unique passions and interests. Its faculties house comprehensive undergraduate and postgraduate programs, research opportunities, and doctoral studies. Step into the enchanting world of UC and glimpse the incredible study areas that await you:
The University of Canterbury prides itself on fostering a culture of diversity and inclusion, creating an environment where all students and staff feel valued and supported. UC is committed to providing equal opportunities and ensuring that everyone has access to education and resources. Here are some initiatives and support services that contribute to a diverse and inclusive community at UC:
By promoting diversity and inclusion, the University of Canterbury creates a vibrant and supportive learning environment that prepares students to thrive in an interconnected and diverse world.
At the University of Canterbury, student life goes beyond academics, and the campus is teeming with a vibrant and diverse range of clubs and societies. With over 140 clubs and societies to choose from, students have ample opportunities to pursue their interests, make new friends, and enhance their university experience. Here's a glimpse of the exciting student life offered at UC:
Participating in clubs and societies at UC not only allows students to pursue their passions but also provides opportunities for personal growth, leadership development, and networking. These extracurricular activities complement academic studies and contribute to a well-rounded university experience.
The University of Canterbury boasts state-of-the-art facilities that cater to the diverse needs of students, supporting their academic pursuits and providing spaces for recreational activities. The campus is equipped with modern lecture theatres, laboratories, libraries, computer labs, and study spaces that are designed to enhance the learning experience. Here are some of the key campus facilities available at UC:
The University of Canterbury's campus facilities are designed to create an environment conducive to learning, well-being, and personal growth. From academic resources to recreational amenities, students have access to everything they need to make the most of their university experience.
The University of Canterbury takes great pride in its strong and active alumni network, which plays a crucial role in connecting graduates with opportunities and resources. The UC Alumni network comprises over 100,000 alumni spread across the globe, representing a wide range of professions and industries.
Here are some key aspects of the UC Alumni Network:
The UC Alumni Network provides a valuable platform for graduates to stay connected with their alma mater, engage with fellow professionals, and continue their personal and professional development. Through its extensive network and ongoing support, the UC Alumni Network contributes to the success and achievements of its graduates long after their time at the University of Canterbury.
- Academic Excellence: The University of Canterbury is one of New Zealand's oldest and most esteemed universities, with a strong reputation for academic excellence. Ranked among the top 1% of universities worldwide, UC offers high-quality education and rigorous programs across various disciplines.
- Wide Range of Study Areas: UC provides a diverse range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs spanning arts, business, engineering, forestry, health sciences, law, music, science, and social sciences. With numerous study options available, students can explore their interests and pursue their desired career paths.
- Supportive Learning Environment: UC is known for its supportive learning environment, offering comprehensive student support services. From academic advising to career guidance and counselling services, students receive the necessary assistance to succeed academically and personally.
- Vibrant Campus Community: The university fosters a vibrant campus community with a wide array of clubs, societies, and cultural activities. Students have opportunities to engage in extracurricular activities, meet like-minded individuals, develop leadership skills, and create lasting connections.
- Industry Connections and Work Experience: UC has strong connections with industry partners, providing students with internship and work experience opportunities. These connections enhance graduates' career prospects, giving them practical skills and exposure to real-world scenarios.
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship: The university promotes innovation and entrepreneurship, nurturing an entrepreneurial mindset among students. Initiatives like the UC Centre for Entrepreneurship encourage creative thinking, problem-solving, and the development of skills essential for success in the ever-evolving professional landscape.
- Beautiful Campus Location: Situated in Christchurch, the UC campus is located in a park-like setting spanning over 76 hectares. With the city centre nearby, students have easy access to amenities and cultural attractions. Christchurch's stunning natural surroundings and vibrant arts scene further enhance the overall student experience.
- Diversity and Inclusion: UC values diversity and strives to create an inclusive and equitable environment for all students and staff. Through cultural events, clubs, and support services, the university celebrates multiculturalism and embraces diverse perspectives, ensuring a rich and supportive learning environment for everyone.
- Alumni Network: The university's strong and active alumni network provides graduates with valuable connections, networking opportunities, and resources. Alumni can engage in mentorship programs, and professional development activities and stay connected with the university community, contributing to their ongoing success and personal growth.
Studying at the University of Canterbury offers a range of benefits, including academic excellence, diverse study areas, a supportive environment, vibrant campus life, industry connections, innovation opportunities, a beautiful location, inclusivity, and access to a strong alumni network.
THE rank601 - 800
ARWU rank3 - 4
20 Kirkwood Ave Christchurch 8041
Situated on 76 hectares in the leafy Christchurch suburb of Ilam, the UC campus is a beautiful space to learn in. The campus is the central hub where learning and living are com...See all courses at this campus
NZD 5000 per annum for up to three years
Up to NZD 20000