Annual course fee
January, may, august
The Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering offers a bachelor of science degree in Agricultural Systems Technology (AST). Students majoring in AST choose between two options: Agricultural and Biosystems Management or Machine Systems. The department also offers a minor in Agricultural Systems Technology. Successful AST graduates gain knowledge, skills, and abilities in solving technical problems, understanding the design process, excelling in authentic leadership, being aware of a safety issues, having a quality orientation, effectively managing projects, and having a systems-thinking perspective. This translates to a holistic approach where AST graduates apply science, technology and engineering principles to manage complex agricultural and other production systems, including how the constituent sub-systems are interrelated and the broader impact of these systems.
You must have successfully completed an United States Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) Equivalent qualifications may also include a recognised post secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.If you dont meet the entry requirements, there may be other programs you are eligible for that can lead you to your preferred program.
Students from Australia are accepted for this course
Type of institution
On campus accommodation
Iowa State University is an esteemed institution known for its outstanding academic reputation and diverse programs spanning numerous fields of study. With an unwavering commitment to providing an excellent education, Iowa State ensures students receive a comprehensive and well-rounded learning experience.
Nestled in the charming city of Ames, Iowa, the university's sprawling campus covers over 1,800 acres of picturesque land, offering students a spacious and scenic environment for their academic pursuits. Ames exudes vibrancy and safety, with a population of approximately 66,000, providing a lively college-town atmosphere. The central location of Ames within the state grants students convenient access to major cities, outdoor activities, and diverse industries, thereby presenting a plethora of opportunities beyond the confines of the classroom.
At Iowa State University, students are presented with a wide array of choices, as they can select from over 100 undergraduate majors and over 200 graduate programs offered across eight esteemed colleges. These colleges include Agriculture and Life Sciences, Business, Design, Engineering, Human Sciences, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, and Graduate Studies. Each academic program at the university is designed meticulously to give students a solid foundation in their chosen fields while nurturing their critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving abilities.
The university's steadfast dedication to research and experiential learning is evident through its extensive research opportunities and emphasis on practical experiences. Iowa State University is renowned for its commitment to undergraduate research, enabling students to engage in groundbreaking projects and collaborate with accomplished scholars. These invaluable experiences contribute to the overall academic excellence of the institution and equip students with the necessary skills for their future careers.
Iowa State University prides itself on fostering a supportive and inclusive community. The university values diversity and inclusion, striving tirelessly to create an environment where all students, faculty, and staff feel welcome and supported. Numerous campus resources, programs, and initiatives are in place to promote diversity and inclusion. Cultural centres, student organisations, and academic support services contribute to a profound sense of belonging and allow students to engage with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Iowa State University boasts state-of-the-art campus facilities to facilitate its students' academic and personal success. Modern classrooms, research laboratories, libraries, and computer labs with cutting-edge technology cater to students' educational needs. Moreover, the university offers various recreational facilities, including fitness centres, sports complexes, swimming pools, and inviting outdoor spaces, encouraging a healthy and active lifestyle.
Beyond academics, Iowa State University offers a vibrant and dynamic student life. With over 800 recognised student organisations, students have abundant opportunities to engage in extracurricular activities and pursue their passions. These organisations span various domains: academic interests, cultural and ethnic groups, professional development, hobbies, sports, and community service. Students can cultivate leadership skills, forge meaningful social connections, and enrich their overall college experience by participating in these activities.
Furthermore, Iowa State University prides itself on maintaining a solid and extensive alum network. This network is a valuable resource, providing connections, mentorship, internships, job placements, and networking opportunities for current and recent graduates. Spanning various industries and professions, the alum network offers invaluable support to aid students in transitioning into their professional careers.
In summary, Iowa State University offers a robust academic environment, a supportive community, state-of-the-art facilities, and a vibrant campus life. With its diverse range of programs, unwavering commitment to research and experiential learning, and dedication to diversity and inclusion, Iowa State University provides students with a comprehensive education that prepares them for success in their chosen fields.
Situated in the vibrant city of Ames, Iowa, Iowa State University offers a picturesque campus spanning over 1,800 acres of land. Ames, with a population of approximately 66,000, provides a safe and welcoming environment for students. Nestled in the heart of the state, Ames enjoys a central location that grants easy access to major cities, outdoor activities, and diverse industries. The university campus boasts a spacious and scenic setting, ideal for studying and living. Students at Iowa State University benefit from the best of both worlds—a close-knit college-town atmosphere and the advantages of a larger city.
Iowa State University prides itself on offering a comprehensive range of study areas across its eight colleges, providing students with abundant choices and opportunities for academic exploration. The colleges at Iowa State University include Agriculture and Life Sciences, Business, Design, Engineering, Human Sciences, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Veterinary Medicine, and Graduate Studies.
Students can select from over 100 undergraduate majors and more than 200 graduate programs within these colleges. Whether their passion lies in the sciences, arts, business, or technology, Iowa State University offers a robust curriculum to provide students with a solid foundation in their chosen fields. The university's commitment to fostering critical thinking, creativity, and problem-solving skills ensures graduates are well-prepared for future success.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the fabric of Iowa State University. The university is dedicated to creating an environment where individuals from all backgrounds feel welcomed, supported, and valued. Iowa State University actively promotes diversity and inclusion through various resources, programs, and initiatives.
Cultural centres, student organisations, and academic support services are among the resources available to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion on campus. The university's commitment to diversity is reflected in the Principles of Community, which serve as the foundation for cultivating inclusion. These principles, including Respect, Purpose, Cooperation, Richness of Diversity, Freedom from Discrimination, and Honest and Respectful Expression of Ideas, guide the university's efforts in creating a culture of inclusion.
Iowa State University offers a vibrant and active student life with over 800 recognised student organisations on campus. These organisations cover a wide range of interests and passions, including academic pursuits, cultural and ethnic groups, professional development, hobbies, sports, and community service. The diverse array of student organisations provides students with opportunities to engage in leadership development, socialise with peers, pursue their passions, and make lasting connections.
By joining student organisations, students can enhance their college experience and develop valuable skills outside the classroom. Whether it's participating in academic clubs related to their field of study or joining cultural organisations that celebrate diversity, students have ample opportunities to explore their interests and contribute to the campus community. The extensive list of clubs and societies available at Iowa State University ensures that every student can find a community that aligns with their passions and aspirations.
Iowa State University offers state-of-the-art facilities to support student's academic and personal needs. The campus is equipped with modern classrooms, research laboratories, libraries, and computer labs, providing students with the necessary tools and resources for their academic pursuits. The university also boasts a wide range of recreational facilities, including fitness centres, sports complexes, swimming pools, and outdoor recreational spaces, encouraging students to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle.
The Memorial Union serves as a central hub for student activities, offering meeting spaces, dining options, a bookstore, and a range of student services. On-campus housing options are available, providing students with convenient and comfortable living arrangements. The dining facilities at Iowa State University are diverse and cater to various dietary preferences, offering a wide array of delicious and nutritious options.
Iowa State University takes pride in its strong and extensive alumni network, which offers valuable connections and resources to current students and recent graduates. The alumni network spans various industries and professions, providing opportunities for mentorship, internships, job placements, and networking.
The university actively fosters interactions between alumni and students through events and programs such as career fairs, alumni panels, and networking receptions. These initiatives enable students to gain insights from experienced professionals and establish connections that can shape their future careers. The alumni association at Iowa State University ensures lifelong engagement by providing resources, benefits, and services to alumni, further strengthening the bond between the university and its graduates.
- Strong academic reputation: Iowa State University is known for its strong academic programs and excellent faculty. Students receive a quality education that prepares them for future career success.
- Diverse range of programs: With over 100 undergraduate majors and more than 200 graduate programs, Iowa State University offers a wide variety of study areas across eight colleges. Students can choose from diverse disciplines and find a program that aligns with their interests and career goals.
- Research opportunities: Iowa State University is committed to research and provides numerous opportunities for students to engage in hands-on learning experiences. Students can work alongside faculty members on cutting-edge research projects and contribute to advancements in their fields.
- Supportive and inclusive community: Iowa State University values diversity and fosters an inclusive campus community. Students feel welcomed and supported, and they have access to resources, programs, and initiatives that promote diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- State-of-the-art facilities: The campus features modern classrooms, research laboratories, libraries, and recreational facilities. Students have access to top-notch resources and facilities that enhance their learning and overall college experience.
- Vibrant college-town atmosphere: Located in Ames, Iowa, Iowa State University offers a lively college-town atmosphere. Students can enjoy a wide range of cultural, recreational, and entertainment options both on and off campus. The city's central location in the state also provides easy access to major cities, outdoor activities, and diverse industries.
- Extensive alumni network: Iowa State University boasts a strong and extensive alumni network. This network provides valuable connections, mentorship opportunities, internships, and job placements for current students and recent graduates. Students benefit from the lifelong engagement and support offered by the alumni association.
- Campus involvement and student life: Iowa State University offers over 800 student organisations and clubs, providing students with ample opportunities to get involved and pursue their interests. Students can engage in leadership development, socialise with peers, and make lasting connections outside of the classroom.
- Financial support: Iowa State University provides scholarships and financial aid options for students, including merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and assistantships. These opportunities help make education affordable and accessible for students.
- Location advantages: Iowa State University's location in the heartland of the United States offers unique advantages. Students have access to diverse industries, internships, and job opportunities. The central location also allows for easy travel to major cities and outdoor recreational areas.
- Focus on career readiness: Iowa State University prepares students for their future careers through career services, internships, co-op programs, and networking opportunities. The university's emphasis on career readiness ensures that students are equipped with the skills and experiences needed to succeed in the job market.
THE rank401 - 500
ARWU rank128 - 146
515 Morrill Road, Ames, Iowa, 50011
The Campus provides a supportive home, amazing food, student engagement and leadership development to help students reach their goals while they are at Iowa State and beyond.See all courses at this campus
USD 40000 (UDS 10000 per year)
Up to USD 16000 (USD 2000 per year – USD 4000 per year)